Applying for housing
- Are first year students given preference to on-campus housing?
The University has deemed that students attending college for the first time should be given as much opportunity to live on campus as possible. The University cannot house all the freshmen who would want to live on campus, therefore, you must be accepted by the University as early as possible so that you may apply for housing in a timely manner. All first year students who apply by May 1, 2021 are guaranteed housing.
- Are first year students required to live on campus?
First year students at FIU are not required to live on campus. But we do encourage the on campus living experience.
- Are transfer and/or graduate students eligible for campus housing?
Transfer students are eligible to live on campus and nearby in the off-campus student housing properties. You can check out off-campus resources at fiuoffcampushousing.com, Graduate student housing is not offered at the Modesto Maidique Campus due to a housing shortage, but they may live at Bayview on the BBC Campus or look for off-campus housing at fiuoffcampushousing.com.
- Do you have family/married housing on campus?
Unfortunately, we do not have family or married housing on campus. You may find off-campus housing resources at fiuoffcampushousing.com.
- What is a 'Summer' Agreement?
Summer Agreements are one semester (Summer) obligations that coincide to the corresponding Summer session (A, B, or C).
- Do summer agreements require summer class enrollment?Yes, In order to stay on campus with us during the summer break students need to be enrolled in a class during one of the summer terms.
Yes, in order to stay on campus with us during the summer break students need to be enrolled in a class during one of the summer terms.
- How do I apply for housing?
All applications for housing are done through the myFIU Student Portal. Log into myFIU and go to Student Tools and select Student Housing. Students new to housing are required to pay a $100.00 non-refundable processing fee.
- If I apply for summer housing, am I automatically enrolled in the fall?
For first-year students, the early fall agreement includes early fall, fall, and summer and allows the student to stay in the same room for all three terms.
For all other students, the summer and fall application periods are separate. You can apply for each of these terms once the housing agreement becomes active on the student myFIU account.
- My gender shows up incorrectly on my.fiu.edu. What should I do?
It is very important for room assignments that you have your gender correct in the MyFIU system. If you have not yet started at FIU, you should contact Undergraduate Admissions at 305-348-2326 to ask how to make the change. If you have already started at FIU, you should contact the One Stop Student Services at 305-348-7000 to have the change made. Also, please contact us to let us know about the discrepancy.
- What can I do if I am not offered space?
Fortunately, there are off-campus student apartment complexes near the University that can provide suitable housing. Also, the University has a website that lists different off-campus housing options for students at fiuoffcampushousing.com.
- What happens if I get an error message while applying in myFIU?
If you receive an error message while completing the application, log out of myFIU and log back in to try again. You will NOT create multiple applications by clicking through the housing application more than once. If you have tried several times and still receive an error message, please call us at 305-348-4190.