Medical Accommodations

Housing and Residential Life, in partnership with the Disability Resource Center, welcomes you to learn more about the process of requesting reasonable accommodations for your on-campus living space. Our goal is to ensure that you are supported throughout your time here at FIU, with a specific focus on your on-campus living experience. We are committed to making your home at FIU one that is specifically designed to serve your needs. For more information on ADA accommodations, examples, and how to ensure your reasonable and appropriate housing accommodations, please follow the guides below.

  • Process

    In order for FIU to support students with disabilities throughout their college experience, students must register with the Disability Resource Center to receive accommodations. Reasonable ADA accommodations are not retroactive, please contact the DRC to schedule your welcome appointment as soon as possible to activate your reasonable ADA housing accommodations during your time here at FIU.

    Step 1 (A)

    In the housing application, when asked if the student may need some type of reasonable accommodation, the student should indicate, "YES."

    Step 1 (B)

    Formally register with the Disability Resource Center as a student in need of reasonable accommodations as soon as possible to insure timely implementation.

    Step 2

    Make sure to have documentation from an appropriate licensed Healthcare Provider that supports your disability status and needs. This includes documentation which verifies the condition, describes any functional limitations resulting from the condition and impacts a major life activity (e.g. seeing, walking). The documentation should include professional recommendations of possible ADA accommodations, which will be considered. Documentation examples include doctor’s letters and neuropsychological evaluations

    Step 3

    Schedule a welcome appointment with the DRC. You can contact the DRC office here.

    Step 4

    Requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis with respect to the documentation provided addressing the impact of the disability supporting the need for housing accommodations.

    Step 5

    The DRC will work with Housing and Residential Life to assign the student to a space that will support the student’s ADA needs. Please note that this step is dependent on inventory, and early registration with both Housing and Residential Life and the DRC is highly recommended.

    Step 6

    The Housing and Residential Life team will collaborate with the student to implement their accommodations.

  • Service Animal and Emotional Support Animal FAQs/Information

    Florida International University supports Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals (ESA), with the appropriate documentation, in Housing and other appropriate areas. To register your animal, please make an appointment with the DRC Office, and bring a copy of the forms below. To register your ESA, please bring a support letter signed by an appropriate licensed healthcare provider. To register your Service Animal, please contact the DRC.

    Service Animal and ESA FAQs:

    Can I have my Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal in my residence hall or room before it is registered with the DRC?

    No. You are unable to have your Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal in your residence hall or room until it is officially registered with the DRC and approved by Housing and Residential Life. Failure to comply with this policy can lead to disciplinary action on behalf of the University.

    Can my ESA/Service animal be unleashed while on campus?

                FIU requires all Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals to be on a leash while on campus. You are encouraged to take your animal to an appropriate park to let it walk around without a leash.

    Where is my Service Animal able to go on campus?

                The Service Animal can go anywhere the student goes. There are some exceptions, such as some labs and medical research spaces. Please check in with the DRC if you are concerned about any location on campus being able to accommodate your Service Animal.

    Where is my Emotional Support Animal able to go on campus?

    Registered Emotional Support Animals are restricted to your residence hall and room with immediate access to outdoor areas by the residence hall. They are not permitted in classrooms, dining halls, libraries, administrative areas, or public places on campus.

    What happens if my Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal poses a threat or causes physical harm to another student or animal?

                FIU Housing and Residential Life reserves the right to deny or revoke access if an animal is not properly cared for or threatens the safety, health, or welfare of another community member.  

    What types of Service Animals are acceptable to have on campus?

                Service dogs and miniature horses are allowed on campus.

    What types of Emotional Support Animals are acceptable to have on campus?

                Generally, any domesticated animal is allowed to be an ESA (these are typically animals that could be found at a pet store and don’t need a specific license or certification to own). This excludes any animal that could be considered a public health hazard, such as various reptiles.

    Are there required medical procedures or vaccinations that my Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal must have before being registered at the DRC?

    All Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals must have all veterinarian recommended vaccinations to maintain the animal’s health and prevent contagious diseases. Documentation of vaccinations is due before the beginning of the housing contract. Housing and Residential Life reserves the right to request an updated verification at any time during the animal’s residency.

    If I must leave my animal alone for an extended period of time, what are some boarding options for my Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal?

                FIU does not offer on-campus boarding for your Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal. It is suggested that you ask your local veterinarian or grooming service for a recommendation.

  • Dietary needs

    Students with food allergies and specific dietary considerations are encouraged to make us aware of their accommodation needs to ensure you are able to access our dining services. Please have your licensed healthcare provider submit the applicable form, located in the form list.

  • FAQs

    When should I request ADA accommodations for my housing needs?

    As soon as possible! Contact the DRC to provide medical documentation related to your housing ADA accommodation needs as soon as you can. Some accommodations may be dependent on inventory, so make sure to submit your information quickly.

    Is there an extra fee I would need to pay to have ADA accommodations in on-campus housing?

    No. All FIU students are entitled to services and reasonable accommodations if needed.

    Examples of ADA accommodations in Housing and Residential Life?

    • Most of our residence halls have wheelchair accessible rooms which include roll-in showers
    • Rooms in any of our facilities can be equipped with fire alarm flashers
    • Bump dots or other accommodations for students who are Blind
    • Emotional support animals
    • Service Animals

     What kind of accommodations are Housing and Residential Life unable to provide?

    • Provide a dust, allergen, mold or mildew-free accommodation
    • Provide a separate low distraction living environment accommodation based solely on a diagnosis of ADHD or a learning disability
    • Assign or move a preferred roommate along with student for which special accommodations are being offered (unless the roommate would otherwise be eligible for the space)
    • Provide a different bed (however, we can remove the existing bed in the room if deemed medically-necessary so that the student can bring their own. Bed sizes must allow enough space for fire egress. Please check with housing before purchasing to ensure you are getting the right bed for your space)
    • Accept documentation which names a specific building in which accommodation must or cannot be provided


  • Important Forms